The nuts and bolts of using margin
These are some things you should know about eligibility, qualifications, and accessing the money as you consider using margin.
What account types are eligible for margin?
Margin is a feature you can add to one of these types of accounts:
- Individual brokerage
- Joint brokerage
- Limited liability company (LLC)
- Sole proprietorship
- Unincorporated association
What securities are eligible for margin?
The following securities are eligible to use as collateral for margin borrowing:
- Most equities* and ETFs trading over $3 a share
- Most mutual funds that have been held for at least 30 days
- Treasury, corporate, municipal, and government agency bonds