What is phishing?
Cyber criminals try to gain your personal information via numerous deceptive means such as legitimate-looking emails with fake web links, phone numbers, and attachments. This method of email fraud is called phishing.
Avoid opening links or attachments in an email you are not expecting. Phishing emails will often ask you for personal information in an effort to obtain access to your financial assets and identity. Responding with sensitive information (like account numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers) is never a good idea.
How to spot phishing emails
Sometimes, it's tricky to tell when an email is legitimate or just looks like an authentic communication.
Make sure the company that is represented is one you trust. Do not respond to an email or fill out any requests for information on a website unless you're confident in its authenticity and security. Fidelity will never ask you for personal information via your personal email address.
Watch a video (2:25) created by our partners at McAfee® that offers valuable tips on spotting and avoiding phishing scams.
Think you received a suspicious email? Report it.
If you're concerned that an email you've received is fraudulent, or you want to confirm that the email is really from Fidelity, we can help you verify that it is legitimate.
Please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- The suspected email, either forwarded to us as part of your message, or included as an attachment
- Your full name, email address, and phone number associated with your Fidelity or NetBenefits® accounts. Do not include your account number, username, or passwords in this email.
- Your yes-or-no answers to the following questions:
- Did you open any links or images within the suspected email?
- Did you enter or submit your login credentials?
Our security experts will investigate to determine if it's a fake. If it is, we'll get the source of the email and any fake websites shut down as quickly as possible. Reporting these emails helps you protect yourself and everyone else too.