First steps: Consider these actions before starting a divorce
- Ensure you can access your financial account information, both physically and online
- Change your website passwords
- Change your PINs
- Change your mobile phone number
- Check your credit report
- Back up or duplicate key documents
- Back up or make copies of photos
- Consider a safe deposit box
- Ensure your mail is secure (consider a PO box)
- Establish credit in your name
- Remove and secure items with sentimental value
- Remove and secure valuables
Protecting your money during a divorce
Consider interim living arrangements during a divorce
- Evaluate all of your options. Can you stay with friends or family or in a temporary living situation like a condo or apartment?
- Transfer your services. You may need to set up services such as utilities, cable, and internet services at your temporary residence.
- Practical updates. Remember to forward your mail and officially change your address with your service providers and subscriptions.