Compare Education Savings Options

There are a number of investment accounts you can use to help save for a child's education. Each offers different features and benefits and can be opened by a friend or relative on behalf of a child.1


Call a college savings representative

529 savings plans

Uniform Gifts to Minors/Uniform Transfers to Minors Accounts (UGMA/UTMA)
Custodial accounts invested in the child's name, these accounts can be used for any expense for the benefit of the child.

Coverdell Education Savings Accounts 
Formerly known as the Education IRA, these accounts offer tax-deferred growth and are designated for a child’s educational expenses. They are not offered by Fidelity.

Expand allCollapse all

529 College Savings Plans Custodial Accounts (UGMA/UTMA) Coverdell (not offered by Fidelity)

Tax advantages

Any earnings grow tax-deferred.
Distributions are federal income tax-free.
Gift and estate tax benefits

Contribution details

Contribution minimum
Contribution maximum
Low impact on financial aid
Qualified withdrawals limited to education expenses
Contributions not limited by the income of the account owner

Account management

Beneficiary can be changed.
Account owner maintains control over distribution of assets.
No age limit for the beneficiary (child)
Professionally managed portfolio

Next step

Open an account
Get started with a Fidelity-managed 529 plan or custodial account.