What is probate?
When is probate required?
- Cash, cash accounts without TOD designations
- Personal property, including valuable items
- Real estate
- Assets and accounts that allow naming of beneficiaries (investment and some cash accounts, including IRAs and workplace accounts), but for which none have been named
- Assets held as tenants in common
The costs of probate
- Court fees
- Appraisal and valuation fees
- Account fees
- Fees paid by the executor
- Your attorney's fees to represent you in the process