Tips for finding and hiring a divorce lawyer
- To find prospective attorneys, you can search online, ask the local bar association, or simply ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Seek out a divorce lawyer who fits your budget. Divorce costs can ramp up quickly, and most people’s day-to-day costs tend to grow post divorce rather than shrinking, which might be counterintuitive.
- Look for an attorney who specializes in divorce and family law and who appears regularly in the court where your case will be heard. This person will understand the nuances of your local and state laws and potentially have a rapport with the judge and other court staff.
- Make sure you trust and feel comfortable with this person. After all, they will be advocating for you, so you need to make sure they understand your situation and respect your values. You might even consider asking them directly if they’d be excited to take your case—their level of enthusiasm could make a big difference in your case.
- Cast a wide net, and don’t settle for the first divorce lawyer you find. This is a decision that will likely affect your finances and lifestyle for years to come, so it’s important to do your due diligence.