- Does your loved one want to die at home or would they prefer to be in a health care facility?
- How does your loved one feel about life-prolonging treatments? Will there be a point when they want treatments to stop, in favor of improving their level of comfort instead?
- How do they feel about life-saving interventions at the end of life?
- Does your loved one want to limit visitors in their final days or arrange to say goodbye to certain friends and family members?
- What's most important to your loved one as they think about how they want to live at the end of life?
- What do they value most?
- How would they complete this sentence: "What matters to me at the end of life is________"
End-of-life ceremonies, celebrations
- Is there a spiritual advisor your loved one would like to hear from or spend time with?
- Does your loved one wish to be buried or cremated?
- Depending on where your loved one plans to die, will you need to choose a funeral home?
- Where do they want their remains to go? Is there a preferred cemetery or other final resting place?
- What preferences do they have for a funeral or memorial service?