IRA Checklist: Three Steps to Open Your IRA
Whether you're opening a new IRA or transferring an IRA from another provider to Fidelity, the process is easy and help is only a phone call away.
Get started on your own with this checklist or call an investment professional at 800-343-3548 for help at any point in the process.
Open a Fidelity Traditional or Roth IRA
If you haven't done so already, open a Fidelity Traditional or Roth IRA online or call a Fidelity investment professional to start the account-opening process. It’s quick and easy.
Fund your account or transfer your existing IRA assets
Once you've opened your account, there are several ways to fund it.
- Make your first contribution.
Consider maximizing your contributions each year, up to $5,500 for 2014 and 2015. And if you're age 50 or older you can save an additional $1,000 each year with catch-up contributions.
- Transfer or roll over other IRA assets.
One statement. No surprises. We'll guide you through the process of moving your IRA to a new Fidelity IRA.
- Roll over old 401(k)s.
We have a team of rollover specialists ready to help. Call 800-343-3548 to get started.
Choose your investments
- Call to schedule an appointment at your nearest Investor Center, where you'll get a one-on-one, complimentary portfolio review.1
- Use Fidelity's retirement planning tools, find market commentary, and access other resources to help you develop a comprehensive investment strategy based on your goals.
- Select from a wide range of investment options for your Fidelity IRA, including Fidelity and non-Fidelity funds, stocks, bonds/Treasuries, CDs, and ETFs.
- Learn more about choosing investments for your IRA.