529 Plan FAQs

Find the answers to your questions related to 529 plans and college savings.

  • What is a 529 plan?

    529 plans are flexible, tax-advantaged accounts designed specifically for college savings. They are offered by individual states, but you do not have to be a resident of a particular state to invest in that state's plan. When the child for whom you're saving reaches college age, withdrawals used for qualified higher education expenses are free from federal income taxes and, in many cases, state taxes.

  • How do I choose a 529 plan?

    First, there are some features that are common to all state-sponsored 529 plans including:

    • Any earnings grow federal income tax deferred.
    • When you withdraw money for qualified higher education expenses, those withdrawals are federal income tax free.
    • You choose how the funds are used. 529 plan distributions can be used for tuition, books, room and board, and any other qualified higher education expense at most accredited colleges and universities in the U.S. and eligible foreign schools.

    When choosing a 529 plan, Fidelity suggests that families consider the following:

    • In-state tax benefits, such as state tax deductions.
    • Investment options. Most 529 plans offer a number of investment options, including age-based portfolios, which invest savings based on a beneficiary's age and the number of years until he or she will be starting college. Some plan managers offer portfolios that consist solely of funds they manage themselves, while others offer access to portfolios managed by multiple fund companies.
    • Fees and expenses, including account management fees and management fees on underlying portfolios.
    • Plan performance. When available, review 1-, 3-, 5-, and 10-year performance figures.
    • Investment management. What financial services company is managing the plan and what types of services does the company offer?
  • If my state offers a tax deduction, should I just invest in my own state's plan?

    Investors should first determine whether their own state's plan offers significant tax benefits, such as a state income tax deduction. If it does, they should consider investing in that plan. However, it's possible that a state plan may offer tax incentives, but have a record of poor performance or charge high fees that could offset the tax benefits. Fidelity suggests that investors consider a range of additional factors, including a plan's investment manager, investment options, plan performance, and underlying fees and expenses when choosing a plan.

  • I have a Uniform Gifts to Minors Act or Uniform Transfers to Minors (UGMA/UTMA) account. Can I transfer those assets into a 529 plan account?

    Yes. However, you must first liquidate the assets in the UGMA/UTMA account and pay any applicable taxes. Investments may be subject to fees and expenses. After liquidation, you can invest the cash in an UGMA/UTMA (Custodial) 529 plan account. An UGMA/UTMA 529 plan account will be subject to the rules for both types of accounts, including applicable UGMA/UTMA state statutes. You cannot change the beneficiary of an UGMA/UTMA 529 plan account. You may want to consult a tax professional regarding your specific tax situation.

  • If I have more than one child, should I have more than one account?

    You will likely want separate 529 plan accounts for each child. Each 529 plan account can have only one beneficiary. Many investors choose to take advantage of the age-based portfolio strategy for their accounts, which manages the account based on the age of the child. For this reason, you may want separate accounts for children of different ages.

  • What are the fees and expenses?
    • There is no annual account fee associated with any of the Fidelity-managed 529 Plan accounts.
    • There is a program management fee that covers the cost of trust administration services, such as recordkeeping, statements and customer service.
    • In addition, each of the underlying mutual funds in which a portfolio's assets are invested also charges investment management fees and other expenses. The plans do not invest in any mutual fund with a sales load. Underlying mutual fund fees vary by portfolio.
    • Please see the UNIQUE College Investing Plan Fact Kit and Application for more details on fees and expenses.
  • I have an account in another state's 529 plan. Can I transfer my account to one of the Fidelity-managed 529 Plans?

    Yes, you can. This type of transfer is called a rollover. Under federal tax laws you are allowed to rollover a 529 plan account for each beneficiary once during any 12-month period. To rollover an account, download the Fidelity College Investing Plan Rollover Form (PDF) or call us at 800-544-1914.

  • What happens if my child doesn't go to college?

    529 plans offer significant flexibility should the designated beneficiary (student) decide not to attend college. You can take out the money as a non-qualified withdrawal, but any earnings on non-qualified distributions are subject to federal income taxes at the recipient's rate as well as a 10% federal penalty. You can also change the beneficiary on your 529 plan account to eligible family members of the original beneficiary without incurring federal income taxes and the 10% federal penalty. A family member is a person who has one of the following relationships with the original beneficiary: (1) son or daughter; (2) stepson or stepdaughter; (3) brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister; (4) father, mother, or an ancestor of either; (5) stepfather or stepmother; (6) son or daughter of a brother or sister (7) brother or sister of a father or mother; (8) son or daughter-in-law, father or mother-in-law, brother or sister-in-law; (9) spouses of the individuals listed in (1)–(8) or the spouse of the beneficiary; and (10) any first cousin.

    Use the College Investing Plan Beneficiary Change Form (PDF).

  • I remember hearing that the tax-free status of 529 plans would be ending soon. Is that true?

    Contributions made to 529 plans will grow federal income tax-deferred. Distributions for higher education expenses will be federal income tax-free and, in some cases, state income tax-free.


Call a college savings representative


1Bank Deposit Portfolio is not an eligible investment selection for Trust Account Registrations.

2Although the underlying deposits are eligible for FDIC insurance, subject to applicable federal deposit insurance limits, the units of the Bank Deposit Portfolio are not insured or guaranteed by the FDIC or any other government agency. You are responsible for monitoring the total amount of your assets on deposit at the depository bank, including amounts held directly at the depository bank. All such deposits held in the same ownership capacity at the depository bank are subject to aggregation and to the current FDIC insurance coverage limitation of $250,000. Please see your 529 Fact Kit for more details.

The asset allocation strategy you choose for any Custom Strategy should be based on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, time horizon, and other factors you determine to be important. Different asset allocations offer different balances between risk and potential returns. Generally, the greater the stock allocation, the greater the potential for long-term returns and the greater the risk of volatility, especially over the short term. Conversely, the greater the allocation to bonds and/or short-term investments, the lower the potential for high long-term returns but the lower the short-term risks.

The UNIQUE College Investing Plan is offered by the state of New Hampshire and managed by Fidelity Investments. If you or the designated beneficiary is not a New Hampshire resident, you may want to consider, before investing, whether your state or the beneficiary's home state offers its residents a plan with alternate state tax advantages or other benefits.

Units of the portfolios are municipal securities and may be subject to market volatility and fluctuation.

Please carefully consider each plan's investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses before investing. For this and other information on any 529 college savings plan managed by Fidelity, contact Fidelity for a free Fact Kit, or view online. Read it carefully before you invest or send money.

Fidelity Brokerage Services, Member NYSE, SIPC, 900 Salem Street, Smithfield, RI 02917