Why investing is important—especially for women
If you're wondering what gender has to do with money, you're not alone. But the numbers don't lie—there are a range of factors that can affect women's finances more than others.
Women live about 6 years longer than men1
2/3 of caregivers are women2
Women earn $0.83 for every dollar a man makes4
Ever wonder, "Should I save or invest?"
They're both important—the key is knowing when to do each so your money can work as hard as you.
Consider saving if:
- Your goal is less than 3 years away
- You need an emergency fund (3–6 months' worth of essential expenses)
- You want quick access to your money if you need it in a pinch
Have a savings goal?
Consider investing if:
- Your goal is more than 3 years away
- You've paid off most or all of your high-interest debt (anything over 6%) like credit cards
- You want to stay ahead of inflation, potentially save on taxes, and build a nest egg
Have an investment goal?
You don't need a finance degree to invest smarter
Just pick a money goal and we'll help you choose the account that makes sense for your goal and the investment style that works for you.
Investing involves risk, including risk of loss.
The Fidelity Investments and pyramid design logo is a registered service mark of FMR LLC.
Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC, Member NYSE, SIPC, 900 Salem Street, Smithfield, RI 02917