Why Fidelity FAQs
Accounts and investments
Can Fidelity manage my investments for me?
Yes, professionally managed accounts from Fidelity allow you to put our experienced money managers in charge of your investments. We'll make investing decisions for you based on your goals, time horizon, risk tolerance, and other preferences.
Fidelity Managed Accounts refer to the discretionary investment management services provided through Fidelity Personal and Workplace Advisors LLC (FPWA), a registered investment adviser. These services are provided for a fee. Brokerage services provided by Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC (FBS), and custodial and related services provided by National Financial Services LLC (NFS), each a member NYSE and SIPC. FPWA, FPTC, FBS, and NFS are Fidelity Investments companies.
What type of account is right for me?
Finding the best account for you depends largely on your individual investment goals. However, by answering a few quick questions, we can help steer you in the right direction.
For help choosing an account, please call us at 800-343-3548. You can also get free one-on-one guidance at Investor Centers nationwide.
Does Fidelity offer mobile trading apps?
Yes, Fidelity Mobile® apps let you access your accounts wherever you are. Customers can use these tools to track their portfolios and trade stocks, options, mutual funds, ETFs, international equities, and more.
If you're not a customer yet, you can still use these apps to access market news and research investments.
How do I roll over an old 401(k) into a Fidelity IRA?
You can do it yourself by opening a Fidelity IRA (if you don't already have one), and then contacting your plan administrator to request a distribution. Or, we can make the rollover process even easier. Simply contact a Fidelity rollover specialist at 800-343-3548 or use our online Rollover TrackerLog In Required tool as a guide to help you. We can help you with everything from speaking with your old employer to choosing investments.
Guidance and research
What kind of guidance can Fidelity provide?
We can help you with:
- Choosing investments
- Retirement planning
- Navigating specific life stages
- Decisions during big life events
- Wealth management
- Planning help for taxes, insurance, estates, and more
You can choose to have Fidelity manage your investments for you with a Managed Account.
Customers with $250,000 or more invested with Fidelity and, generally, $1 million or more in total investable assets, can work with a dedicated financial advisor. Learn more about our wealth management services
Additionally, you can get our latest thoughts on the financial industry, investing ideas, and personal finance in Fidelity Viewpoints® and Market Insights. You can also receive market and mutual fund updates from experienced Fidelity analysts in our exclusive videos and podcasts.
Our in-depth Investment Research lets you analyze, test, and discover investment opportunities on your own.
Can I get guidance from Fidelity if I am a customer through my 401(k), 403(b), or other workplace savings plan?
Yes, if you have a Fidelity retirement plan at work, we can help you with your investment decisions. Check with your employer to see if you have a dedicated phone number or on-site investment representative to help you.
Contact us for a list of phone numbers and contact options available at Fidelity.
Will an advisor be dedicated to me?
With most accounts, you will have free one-on-one access to our investment professionals in person, over the phone, and online.
When you sign up for a professionally managed account, a Fidelity relationship team member will:
- Help you define your investment goals and establish a plan to reach them.
- Explain investment decisions made on your behalf.
- Monitor your account to help you stay on track.
- Review your investment strategy with you annually.
Through our wealth management services, customers with $250,000 or more invested with Fidelity and, generally, $1 million or more in total investable assets, can work with a dedicated financial advisor who can:
- Help you invest and plan for your full financial picture
- Lay out your options and make clear recommendations
- Meet with you regularly and help you make ongoing decisions
Fidelity's Portfolio Advisory Services are services of Strategic Advisers, Inc., a registered investment adviser and a Fidelity Investments company. These services provide discretionary money management for a fee.
Brokerage services provided by Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC. Custody and other services provided by National Financial Services LLC. Both are Fidelity Investments companies and members of NYSE and SIPC.
Can I view a demo of Fidelity's trading and research tools before opening an account?
Yes, we offer several free demos and trials for our advanced trading tools:
Pricing and fees
What does it cost to receive guidance from Fidelity?
Fidelity's guidance is free whether you get it in person, over the phone, or online.
Fidelity can also manage your investments for you with a managed account that includes an additional advisory fee.
- What are the fees associated with Fidelity’s accounts?
What are Fidelity's commissions on trading?
Online U.S. equity trades at Fidelity cost just $4.951 per trade, for an unlimited number of trades and shares.
You can purchase 240 iShares® ETFs,2 11 Fidelity sector ETFs, 10 Fidelity factor ETFs, and 5 Fidelity active fixed income ETFs online, commission-free, and with access to major U.S., international, and fixed income markets.
We also offer low commissions and fees for bonds, options, and margin.3 Get all the details on commissions and compare us to your broker.
1. $4.95 commission applies to online U.S. equity trades in a Fidelity retail account only for Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC retail clients. Sell orders are subject to an activity assessment fee (from $0.01 to $0.03 per $1,000 of principal). Other conditions may apply. See Fidelity.com/commissions for details. Employee equity compensation transactions and accounts managed by advisors or intermediaries through Fidelity Clearing & Custody Solutions® are subject to different commission schedules.
Free commission offer applies to online purchases of select iShares ETFs in a Fidelity account. The sale of ETFs is subject to an activity assessment fee (from $0.01 to $0.03 per $1,000 of principal).
2. For iShares ETFs, Fidelity receives compensation from the ETF sponsor and/or its affiliates in connection with an exclusive, long-term marketing program that includes promotion of iShares ETFs and inclusion of iShares funds in certain FBS platforms and investment programs. Additional information about the sources, amounts, and terms of compensation is described in the ETF's prospectus and related documents. Fidelity may add or waive commissions on ETFs without prior notice. BlackRock and iShares are registered trademarks of BlackRock, Inc. and its affiliates.
3. Options trading entails significant risk and is not appropriate for all investors. Certain complex options strategies carry additional risk. Before trading options, please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options. Supporting documentation for any claims, if applicable, will be furnished upon request.
Margin trading entails greater risk, including but not limited to risk of loss and incurrence of margin interest debt, and is not suitable for all investors. Please assess your financial circumstances and risk tolerance prior to trading on margin. Margin credit is extended by National Financial Services, Member NYSE, SIPC.
Investing in bonds involves risk, including interest rate risk, inflation risk, credit and default risk, call risk, and liquidity risk.
ETFs are subject to market fluctuation and the risks of their underlying investments. ETFs are subject to management fees and other expenses. Unlike mutual funds, ETF shares are bought and sold at market price, which may be higher or lower than their NAV, and are not individually redeemed from the fund.
What are the minimum levels of investment required to open an account with Fidelity?
Minimum levels of investment required to open an account at Fidelity vary depending on the type of account.
What are Fidelity's mutual fund commissions and fees?
All of Fidelity's 300+ mutual funds are available without a transaction fee. Our exclusive FundsNetwork® mutual fund brokerage service also gives you access to another 3,300+ funds from other companies with no loads or transaction fees.1 Other fees and expenses applicable to continued investment are described in the fund's current prospectus.
When you buy or exchange a non-Fidelity fund or a fund from outside the no-transaction-fee FundsNetwork®, a flat fee of $49.95 or $75 applies2 (for online trades only; visit Trading Commissions and Margin Rates for more information).
1. Other fees and expenses applicable to continued investment are described in the fund's current prospectus.
2. Certain funds will have a transaction fee of $75. To identify any applicable transaction fees associated with the purchase of a given fund, please refer to the "Fees and Distributions" tab on the individual fund page on Fidelity.com
- What are Fidelity's mutual fund expense ratios?
What are Fidelity’s margin rates?
Fidelity's margin rates are among the most competitive in the industry and vary depending on your debit balance.
How are Fidelity’s representatives compensated?
At Fidelity, our compensation plans are designed to encourage representatives to establish and maintain strong customer relationships and deliver guidance. They are also designed to ensure that our representatives are motivated and compensated appropriately to provide the best possible service and to always do what is right for our customers.
The plans emphasize and promote the benefits of long-term investing and sticking to a financial plan throughout market cycles. For more information, view Fidelity Representatives' Compensation Disclosure (PDF).
What are Fidelity’s fees for cash management (ATM/debit cards, credit cards, Full View®, Fidelity BillPay®, checkwriting, electronic funds transfer, etc.)?
Cash Management features at Fidelity are designed to help you get more for your money:
- There are no annual account fees.
- ATM fee and surcharge reimbursements are available.
- Fidelity BillPay® is free.
- Checkwriting is free.
- You can earn up to 2% back with a Fidelity Rewards credit card.
Before investing in any mutual fund or exchange-traded fund, you should consider its investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. Contact Fidelity for a prospectus, offering circular or, if available, a summary prospectus containing this information. Read it carefully.