How to Change Your Name
Life events can lead to name changes, and making sure your accounts are updated with your new name will save you a lot of frustration and headache. It takes just a few minutes to update your name online.
When do I need to update the name on my account?
If your name has changed (e.g., you were married or divorced), you'll need to update the name on your Fidelity accounts. It's important to do this because the name used on your accounts is also used on the tax forms we send to you and the IRS.
Note: Make sure your name matches what's on file with the IRS. If there's a discrepancy, the IRS might require Fidelity to withhold taxes from your transactions.
What do I need to know?
To change your name, you'll need to provide a copy of the document that shows your new name, such as:
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court document
- Government-issued ID (e.g., a Social Security card or certification of naturalization)
Note: We do not accept a driver's license as proof of a name change because of the potential fraud risk.
- On the Name Change page, enter your new name exactly as it appears on the document
- Attach the required document, confirm your information, read the Terms and Conditions, and submit your changes
- You'll see a confirmation page with a list of your accounts and some suggested next steps
Note: When completing the online steps, if you choose to mail your documents, you'll have the option to use the Name Change form.
What to expect
Please note if you send the form and your document by mail, instead of using the online steps, the change might take longer.
- The name on your accounts is changed within 3 business days
- You'll receive a confirmation of the name change by email or U.S. Mail within 7–10 business days
- While your checks and debit card are still valid, you'll want them updated with your new name:
- For each account with checkwriting, please complete the checkwriting form and have it signed by all owners
- For debit cards, check the box in the online steps or call Check Card Services at 800-323-5353 when your name changes is confirmed
Note: Name changes do not carry over to your 401(k) account. If you have a 401(k) or another type of a workplace plan, please contact your employer or log in to NetBenefits®Log In Required.