How to Transfer Cash or Shares Between Fidelity Accounts
If you need to transfer money or shares from one of your Fidelity accounts to another, we make it easy.
When would I transfer assets between my Fidelity accounts?
You might use this type of transfer to make a contribution from a nonretirement account to your IRA or 529 college savings plan. It also might be a handy way to take a minimum required distribution (MRD) from a retirement account and transfer the assets directly to one of your nonretirement accounts. You can also use this type of transfer to reallocate your assets across nonretirement accounts. For example, you may have excess cash in your Fidelity Cash Management Account® that you want to move to an account earmarked for longer-term investments.
What do I need to know?
From Accounts & Trade, select Transfer Money/Shares. When you begin the transfer process, we ask you to specify the account you want to transfer from. After you have selected the "from" account, you'll see a list of the accounts you can transfer to:
- In the "To" field, select the account to receive the transfer.
- Select the plus sign (+) to view your balances, positions, and orders.
Choose either Cash or Shares.
Note: If your transfer is a contribution to an IRA or 529 college savings plan, you can only use cash; "Shares" will not appear as a choice.
- If you select Cash:
- Fidelity updates your available cash throughout the day. If the account you're transferring from has any unsettled trades, the amount of cash available can fluctuate.
You can transfer the amount listed under Cash Available to Withdraw.
Note: If you are making a contribution to your IRA, you may want to check your IRA Contribution Limits and Deadlines. Additionally, if you are taking a distribution from an IRA, you'll need to consider possible tax withholding options.
- If you select Shares:
- The Positions tab shows the symbol (not the full position name), the account type (cash or margin), and the value of the shares.
- The Eligible shares field displays positions and balances eligible for transfer. Only fully settled shares in cash or margin are eligible.
- The margin selection displays only if you have a margin account.
- Select Next. The Transfer Verification page appears.
- Select Submit to complete the transfer. You'll see a confirmation page stating you've completed your transfer.
Note: You may see footnote messages displayed in some situations (e.g., if cost basis is automatically transferred or the transfer causes a debit balance in the "to" account, etc.).
What to expect
- On the confirmation page, select Pending Transfers to view the status of the transaction. A list of your pending transfers displays with the estimated completion date.
- You will see the transferred shares or cash reflected in your Fidelity account balances, usually on the next business day.
- If you transferred mutual fund shares, the shares are credited to the account at the closing price of the position on the day the transfer occurs.
- If you have questions, please call us at 800-343-3548.