How to Change Your 529 Plan's Investment Instructions
Occasionally, you may need to adjust how you're investing your 529 college savings plan assets. You can change your future investment allocations or your current asset allocations. You can make these changes online, and the steps are easy to follow.
What are 529 college savings plan asset allocations?
An asset allocation is how and where the money you contribute to your plan in the future is allocated and invested (future asset allocations), and how and where your plan's existing assets are allocated and invested (current asset allocations). As you get closer to paying for college, or if your plan's beneficiary changes, you may want to change your future asset allocations and/or your current asset allocations.
What do I need to know?
- On the 529 Plan Investment Instructions page, you will need to select the account and have the beneficiary's name, Social Security number, and date of birth available.
- You can change how your future investments are allocated as often as you like. For example, let's say your plan's assets are now invested in the moderate growth portfolio, but you want your future contributions to go into an age-based portfolio.
- You can change your current asset allocations twice per calendar year (or upon a change of your beneficiary). For example, perhaps you want to exchange your current assets invested in the static portfolio to an age-based portfolio.
- You may find it helpful to review asset allocation choices on our 529 Plan Investment Options page.
- If you have questions about changing your future or current asset allocations, please call us at 800-544-1914.
What to expect
Your changes for future investment allocations will be in effect the next time you contribute to your 529 college savings plan account.
Your current asset allocation change:
- If requested before 4 p.m. ET, receives that day's closing price
- If requested after 4 p.m. ET, receives the next business day's closing price
- Applies to your entire portfolio: you can't choose to exchange only part of your portfolio
If you've chosen eDelivery, we'll email your confirmation in 1–2 business days. If you don't use eDelivery, you'll receive a statement in the U.S. Mail in 3–5 business days.
Please wait while Fidelity's Virtual Assistant loads.
Virtual Assistant is Fidelity's automated natural language search engine to help you find information on the Fidelity.com site. As with any search engine, we ask that you not input personal or account information. Information that you input is not stored or reviewed for any purpose other than to provide search results and to help provide analytics to improve the search results. For account servicing requests, you may send our customer service team a secure, encrypted message once you have logged in to our website. Responses provided by the Virtual Assistant are to help you navigate Fidelity.com and, as with any Internet search engine, you should review the results carefully. Fidelity does not guarantee accuracy of results or suitability of information provided.