What to do with an old 401(k)

Have an old 401(k) from a former employer? We can help you weigh your options so you can make the right decision for your specific needs.

Four options regarding your old 401(k)

  1. Roll over to a Fidelity IRA
    Roll over to Fidelity and consolidate your retirement accounts in one place while continuing tax-deferred growth potential.1 You'll get a wide range of investment options including $0 commissions for online US stock trades.*
    Roll over to Fidelity now
  2. Roll over to a new workplace plan
    If allowed, this option lets you consolidate your 401(k)s into one account while continuing tax-deferred growth potential. Investment options vary by plan.2
  3. Stay in your old workplace plan
    If permitted, this option lets you continue tax-deferred growth potential; however, you can no longer contribute to the old plan. Investment options vary by plan.
  4. Cash out
    If you withdraw the money from your 401(k) plan, your cash distribution will be subject to state and federal taxes and, before age 59½, a 10% withdrawal penalty may apply.3 Also, your money won't have the potential to continue to grow tax-deferred.

Compare your options side-by-side

Learn more and explore options

Ready to get started?