Get started. Get $50.
Open an account and download the app—and we'll give teens $50 to get them started. Terms and conditions apply.
Is the Fidelity Youth™ Account a joint account or custodial account?
No, the Fidelity Youth™ Account is a teen-owned brokerage account. It is owned by the minor, who makes all the investment decisions. This is unlike a custodial account (e.g., Uniform Gifts to Minors Act [UGMA] account or a Uniform Transfers to Minors Act [UTMA] account) where the custodian makes the investment decisions on the minor's behalf.
How much does Fidelity Youth™ cost?
There are no subscription fees and no account fees associated with Fidelity Youth™, and no minimum balances required to open a Fidelity Youth account.
What are the steps to opening a Fidelity Youth™ Account?
You, the parent/guardian, and your teen can open this brokerage account together. There are a few regulatory and legal steps you and your teen will have to complete first.
As parent/guardian, you must:
- Have an account with Fidelity. If you don't have a one, we'll help you open a brokerage account while you open the Fidelity Youth™ Account for your teen.
- Open the Fidelity Youth Account for your teen.
- Upload a photo ID for your teen, such as a valid driver’s license, birth certificate, or student ID card.
- Make sure you enter your teen’s mobile number when prompted, as this will be needed for your teen to complete the steps to activate their account. Once you complete the application process and submit the required documents, your teen will receive an email/SMS text with next steps. (Note: If steps are incomplete, the account will not be available to receive funds or trade.)
Your teen will have to:
- Download the Fidelity Youth™ app.
- Create a username and password (last four digits of SSN needed).
- Login and accept the Terms of Agreement.
Once that last step has been completed, the teen will typically receive their $50 reward in 3-5 days. Parents will also be able to transfer money from their Fidelity account to their teen's account.
What does the teen need to do after the parent opens the account?
The teen will need to:
- Download the Fidelity Youth™ app
- Follow the steps to create a username and password (they need the last 4 digits of their SSN for this)
- Log into the app and accept the Terms of Agreement that display upon login
Once this is complete, the account will be activated and parents can transfer money to their teen. Make sure to upload the teen's photo ID or their account will be closed.
Money was transferred to a teen’s account. Why isn’t it showing up yet?
Once a parent’s Fidelity account is linked to their teen’s Fidelity Youth™ Account, money sent by the parent will instantly transfer to the teen. Please note, transfers greater than $500 may take longer to process. Transfers made from external (non-Fidelity) accounts via EFT (electronic funds transfer) or wire may vary in processing time.
Investing involves risk, including risk of loss.
Zero account minimums and zero account fees apply to retail brokerage accounts only. Expenses charged by investments (e.g., funds, managed accounts, and certain HSAs) and commissions, interest charges, or other expenses for transactions may still apply. See Fidelity.com/commissions for further details.
Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC, Member NYSE, SIPC, 900 Salem Street, Smithfield, RI 02917