How to Update and Certify Your Social Security or Taxpayer ID Number
It's in your best interest and ours to ensure we have the correct information on your Fidelity accounts. If your Social Security number (SSN) or taxpayer ID number (TIN) is incorrect or needs to be updated, you may be able to change and certify it online.
Why do I need to certify my SSN or TIN?
If you've been notified that the taxpayer information we have on file for you is incomplete or inaccurate, you'll need to complete the Substitute Form W-9 to certify your SSN or TIN. The IRS requires you to certify your SSN or TIN to verify your U.S. tax status. If our information doesn't match what the IRS has on file, the IRS requires Fidelity to withhold 24% of the proceeds when you sell a security or receive dividends, interest, or other income. You may also be subject to penalties.
What do I need to know?
- In most cases, you can update and certify your SSN or TIN online.
- From Update Accounts/Features, select SSN/TIN Certification. On the SSN/TIN Certification page, select Complete Your SSN/TIN Certification Online.
- You'll need to choose the accounts that are affected by this update.
- When you've completed the online steps, agree to the terms and submit your request.
- If you are subject to backup withholding or have received a notification from the IRS, or if you have any other questions about your SSN or TIN certification, please call us at 800-343-3548.
What to expect
We will review your information and, after we've verified the update, we'll complete the certification and your updated SSN or TIN will appear on all of the accounts you've updated within 3 business days.
If you've chosen eDelivery, you'll receive a confirmation in 1–2 business days. If you don't use eDelivery, you'll receive a confirmation by U.S. Mail within 3–5 business days.
Please wait while Fidelity's Virtual Assistant loads.