How to Update Your Employment Status

Have you recently started a new job, retired, or otherwise had a change in your employment status? If so, you'll need to update the employment information on your account profile.

Why should I update my employment status?

Since we use your Financial Profile and employment status to determine whether specific investments or investment strategies may be suitable, this information must be accurate to ensure that our guidance is appropriate for your personal financial situation.

What do I need to know?

You can change your employment status any time on the Employment Information page. After logging in, choose the appropriate employment description from the menu:

  • Employed
  • Self-Employed
  • Unemployed
  • Retired
  • Employed by Fidelity

What to expect

You will not be able to update your employment information online if:

  • You work for a company associated with the securities industry.
  • You live outside the United States.
  • You live at a military address.

If you work for a company associated with the securities industry, live outside of the United States or at a military address, please call Fidelity at 800-343-3548 to update your employment status.

Note: Fidelity is required by industry regulations to determine if you or someone in your household is associated with a financial services company or is a control person of a corporation. You are associated if you are employed by or associated with a stock exchange, broker-dealer, exchange member firm, municipal securities dealer, or the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). You are also considered associated if you or an immediate family or household member is a director, corporate officer, or 10% shareholder of a publicly held company, or a control person of a publicly traded company under SEC Rule 144.