How to Trade Precious Metals
Precious metals have historically performed well during times of inflation and economic uncertainty. Investing in precious metals may provide diversification within your portfolio.
What precious metals can I trade at Fidelity?
We offer trading in bullion, bars, and coins in gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. When trading precious metals, Fidelity acts as an agent only; we hold no inventory in precious metals, nor does Fidelity buy or sell by taking positions in the market. We send your orders directly to the precious metals investment companies we use, FideliTrade or ScotiaMocattaTM, who buy and sell for us in the precious metals marketplace.
What do I need to know?
The precious metals market can be extremely volatile so it might not be suitable for all investors. Supply and demand play a key role. Supply is influenced by metals analysts' projections for mine supplies of precious metals. Some conditions that may increase the demand for precious metals include:
- Anticipated or actual inflation
- Economic or political uncertainty
- Increased industrial use
- Increased jewelry manufacturing
- Rising interest in coin collecting
Note: While you can purchase precious metals in an IRA, there are specific restrictions. Certain types of gold coins, gold bullion bars, platinum coins, platinum bullion bars, silver coins, silver bullion bars, and palladium bullion bars are among the types permitted. Please speak to a representative for more details.
What to expect
- In a nonretirement account, the minimum initial investment is $2,500, and the minimum subsequent investment is $1,000.
- In an IRA, the minimum initial investment is $1,000.
- The trading hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., ET.
- All trades must be placed through a representative by calling 800-343-3548.
- You can only trade in whole ounces or whole numbers of coins—not in dollar amounts or for fractional ounces or coins.
- There's a two-day settlement period.
Please wait while Fidelity's Virtual Assistant loads.
Virtual Assistant is Fidelity's automated natural language search engine to help you find information on the Fidelity.com site. As with any search engine, we ask that you not input personal or account information. Information that you input is not stored or reviewed for any purpose other than to provide search results and to help provide analytics to improve the search results. For account servicing requests, you may send our customer service team a secure, encrypted message once you have logged in to our website. Responses provided by the Virtual Assistant are to help you navigate Fidelity.com and, as with any Internet search engine, you should review the results carefully. Fidelity does not guarantee accuracy of results or suitability of information provided.