FAQs: Transfer Assets to Fidelity

Getting started

  • What do I need to transfer an account from another firm?

    You will need the account number from your current firm, along with the type and registration of the account. For example, you'll need to specify if the account is an IRA, an individual, or a joint account as well as the positions you hold in the account.

  • Why do you ask for a statement from my current firm?

    Though not always requested, providing a recent statement from your current firm may save time because:

    • We can verify that the transfer information you provided is accurate
    • If your current firm has questions, it may help us answer their questions and avoid delays
  • What do I do if I don't have the right type of account here at Fidelity?

    As part of the online transfer steps, you'll have an opportunity to open a new account. However, some account types, like trusts and business accounts, can't be opened online. If that's the case, you'll need to first download the applicable account application from the Open an Account page, and submit the completed application with the Transfer Assets to Fidelity (PDF) form to complete your transfer request.

  • Do I need a printer?

    It depends on the specifics of your transfer. As part of the online transfer process, we'll determine if you are eligible to submit your transaction electronically to your current firm. If your current firm requires your signature, you'll be asked to print, sign, and date the Transfer Assets to Fidelity (PDF) form. If your firm can accept a copy, you'll be asked to upload the TOA form along with a copy of a statement. However, if an original signature is required, you'll be asked to mail the signed TOA form and a copy of a statement to us. Please note that your TOA form is prefilled with your information.

About the process

  • How do I transfer a joint account into an individual account?

    As part of the online transfer process, you'll be asked to print the form and have all of the joint owners sign it.

  • What if my name on the account I am transferring is different from my name on my Fidelity account?

    The steps you take depend on what's different about your name:

    • If your last name is different and your Fidelity account has your correct name, you'll need to provide the corresponding legal document such as a marriage or divorce certificate.
    • If your last name is different but your Fidelity account does not have your correct name, then you'll need to provide the legal document and you'll need to change your Fidelity accounts; please see How to Change Your Name for details.
    • If your first or middle name or even a suffix is different, then you'll need to fill out a One-and-the-Same Letter (PDF) to certify your name is represented both ways.
  • What if my account registration at the other firm is different from my account registration at Fidelity?

    Depending on the registration difference, additional signatures might be needed. In some cases, your current firm may require all owners on both the new and/or current account to sign the form.

  • What is a Medallion Signature Guarantee and how do I get one?

    If your current firm requires their own paperwork in addition to ours, they may also request a Medallion Signature Guarantee. A Medallion Signature Guarantee for the transfer of securities guarantees the signature is genuine and the financial institution accepts liability for any forgery. You can get a Medallion Signature Guarantee from most banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions. A notary seal/stamp is not a Medallion Signature Guarantee.

  • How do I know if all of my current holdings can transfer in-kind to Fidelity?

    This depends on what kind of investments you specifically hold. Some mutual funds may need to be sold and transferred over as cash. Most stocks will transfer over in-kind, but if you own stocks trading at less than $1.00 a share, these securities may need to be sold as well and transferred over as cash.

  • What is a core position?

    The core position is used for processing cash transactions and holding uninvested cash in your account. When you sell securities, the proceeds are deposited into your core position. When you buy securities, cash from the core position is used to pay for the trade.

After I submit