529 Plan Investment Options
As you get ready to open your 529 plan account, decide which investment strategy will work best for you. Our plans offer options for every type of investor.
This strategy offers a choice of three types of funds:
Fidelity Index Funds
Your beneficiary's birth year will help determine the Age-Based portfolio in which you'll invest.
Asset Allocation for Age-Based Portfolios
U.S. equity funds
Non-U.S. equity funds
|1995 and earlier||College Portfolio||
Asset Allocation for Age Based Portfolios
The chart assumes the child will begin attending college at approximately 18 years of age. It illustrates the target mix that each Age Based Portfolio would like to achieve by June 30, 2012. Percentages may not add up to 100% due to rounding.
The following lists the beneficiary birth year, corresponding age based portfolio*, and asset allocation.
- Born 2011 to 2013, Portfolio 2030, U.S. Equity Funds 63%, Non U.S.. Equity Funds 26%, Bond Funds 12%.
- Born 2008 to 2010, Portfolio 2027, U.S. Equity Funds 60%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 25%, Bond Funds 15%.
- Born 2005 to 2007, Portfolio 2024, U.S. Equity Funds 54%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 22%, Bond Funds 25%.
- Born 2002 to 2004, Portfolio 2021, U.S. Equity Funds 44%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 18%, Bond Funds 33%, Short term funds 5%.
- Born 1999 to 2001, Portfolio 2018, U.S. Equity Funds 35%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 14%, Bond Funds 39%, Short term funds 12%.
- Born 1996 to 1998, Portfolio 2015, U.S. Equity Funds 25%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 9%, Bond Funds 41%, Short term funds 24%.
- Born 1993 to 1995, Portfolio 2012, U.S. Equity Funds 15%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 5%, Bond Funds 40%, Short term funds 40%.
- Born 1992 and earlier, College Portfolio, U.S. Equity Funds 15%, Non U.S. Equity Funds 5%, Bond Funds 40%, Short term funds 40%.
* The Age Based Fidelity Funds, Multi Firm, and Fidelity Index portfolios take a more aggressive approach during the early years of saving for college to take advantage of potential growth opportunities, while investing to preserve capital as the need to pay for qualified higher education expenses approaches. Keep in mind that the investment risk of each Age Based Portfolio changes along with the target asset allocation.
Call a college savings representative800-544-1914
1Bank Deposit Portfolio is not an eligible investment selection for Trust Account Registrations.
2Although the underlying deposits are eligible for FDIC insurance, subject to applicable federal deposit insurance limits, the units of the Bank Deposit Portfolio are not insured or guaranteed by the FDIC or any other government agency. You are responsible for monitoring the total amount of your assets on deposit at the depository bank, including amounts held directly at the depository bank. All such deposits held in the same ownership capacity at the depository bank are subject to aggregation and to the current FDIC insurance coverage limitation of $250,000. Please see your 529 Fact Kit for more details.
The asset allocation strategy you choose for any Custom Strategy should be based on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, time horizon, and other factors you determine to be important. Different asset allocations offer different balances between risk and potential returns. Generally, the greater the stock allocation, the greater the potential for long-term returns and the greater the risk of volatility, especially over the short term. Conversely, the greater the allocation to bonds and/or short-term investments, the lower the potential for high long-term returns but the lower the short-term risks.
The UNIQUE College Investing Plan is offered by the State of New Hampshire and managed by Fidelity Investments. If you or the designated beneficiary is not a New Hampshire resident, you may want to consider, before investing, whether your state or the designated beneficiary's home state offers its residents a plan with alternate state tax advantages or other benefits.
Units of the portfolios are municipal securities and may be subject to market volatility and fluctuation.
Please carefully consider each plan's investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses before investing. For this and other information on any 529 college savings plan managed by Fidelity, contact Fidelity for a free Fact Kit, or view online. Read it carefully before you invest or send money.
Fidelity Brokerage Services, Member NYSE, SIPC. 900 Salem Street, Smithfield, RI 02917