- Keep your security software updated (antivirus/antispyware software, system updates, and patches).
- Install spam filtering and blocking software.
- Use a firewall.
- Never use your Social Security number as a username when other options are available.
- Don’t open emails from unfamiliar sources, and don’t click on strange links in instant messages.
- Look for the “s” in your browser’s address bar (e.g., https://www.Fidelity.com) if you intend to make a transaction on that site.
- Always log off completely from public computers.
- Don’t download free software from a source that you cannot verify.
- Review your account information regularly.
- Stay on guard and trust your instincts if something doesn’t seem right.
Online Security Checklist
We’ve collected these tips as the Top 10 ways for you to protect yourself online.