Open an account
What you need to open an account
- Your Social Security number
- Your beneficiary's date of birth and Social Security number
- Bank account and routing information (if you're ready to deposit funds)
- Open a Fidelity-managed 529 plan account online.
- Download an enrollment kit, available for each of the Fidelity-managed 529 Plans:
- Call 800-544-1914 to request an application and fact kit.
Fund your account
- Contribute an initial investment (as little as $50), or
- Establish periodic contributions from your bank account or Fidelity nonretirement account (as little as $15 a month).
Maintain your account
There are a number of ways that you can maintain your account, along with features that you can add once it is open, including:
- Making a one-time contribution or set up automatic contributions.
- Using mobile check deposit to deposit checks into your 529 account from your smartphone.
- Enrolling in College Gifting to allow others to contribute to your account.
- Monitoring plan performance.
- Updating your investment portfolio (allowable twice per calendar year) or changing future allocations.
- Changing the beneficiary.*