• Print
  • Default text size A
  • Larger text size A
  • Largest text size A

Take a Distribution From Your 529 Plan Account

Get specifics on how to use your 529 plan savings to pay for qualified higher education expenses.

What can you do?

Make withdrawals for college expenses. Refer to your enrollment kit for full details on qualified expenses, which include:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment
  • Room and board
  • Special needs services

You can also take out money as a nonqualified withdrawal, but any earnings on such distributions are subject to federal income taxes as well as a 10% federal penalty tax.

How can you learn more?

529 plan FAQs: paying for college
Find out more about using a 529 plan to pay for higher education expenses.

You have several ways to withdraw money (take a distribution) from your 529 plan account:

  1. Pay online with Fidelity BillPay® for 529 accounts. lock_green
  2. Call a Fidelity representative at 800-544-1914.
  3. Download and print the College Investing Plan Distribution form (PDF).

Watch a BillPay demo


Call a college savings representative

The UNIQUE College Investing Plan, U.Fund College Investing Plan, Delaware College Investment Plan, and Fidelity Arizona College Savings Plan are offered by the State of New Hampshire, MEFA, the State of Delaware and the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education, respectively, and managed by Fidelity Investments.

If you or the designated beneficiary is not a New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Delaware, or Arizona resident, you may want to consider, before investing, whether your state or the designated beneficiary's home state offers its residents a plan with alternate state tax advantages or other benefits.

Units of the Portfolios are municipal securities and may be subject to market volatility and fluctuation.

Please carefully consider the Plan's investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing.  For this and other information on any 529 College Savings Plan managed by Fidelity, contact Fidelity for a free Fact Kit, or view online.  Read it carefully before you invest or send money.