Learn About Fixed Income, Bonds, and CDs
No matter how much you have invested or what your age, fixed income can play an important role in every portfolio. Fixed income is an investment that seeks to provide a return in the form of fixed periodic payments and the eventual return of principal at maturity.
Learn how to use a certificate of deposit ladder strategy.
All Fixed Income Lessons
Any fixed income security sold or redeemed prior to maturity may be subject to loss.
In general, the bond market is volatile, and fixed income securities carry interest rate risk. (As interest rates rise, bond prices usually fall, and vice versa. This effect is usually more pronounced for longer-term securities.) Fixed income securities also carry inflation risk, liquidity risk, call risk, and credit and default risks for both issuers and counterparties. Unlike individual bonds, most bond funds do not have a maturity date, so holding them until maturity to avoid losses caused by price volatility is not possible.
Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC, Member NYSE, SIPC, 900 Salem Street, Smithfield, RI 02917
All Fixed Income and Bonds courses
- Navigating the Fixed Income, Bonds & CDs page on Fidelity.com
- Using a scattergraph in fixed income analysis
- Conducting fixed income analysis on Fidelity.com
- Using the Bond Fund & Fixed Income Illustrators
- Evaluating interest rate risk in your fixed income portfolio
- Using the bond ladder tool
- Establishing & interpreting fixed income alerts