FAQs: Transfer Assets to Fidelity

Getting started

  • What do I do if I don't have the right type of account here at Fidelity?

    As part of the online transfer steps, you'll have an opportunity to open a new account. However, some account types, like trusts and business accounts, can't be opened online. If that's the case, you'll need to first download the applicable account application from the Open an Account page, and submit the completed application with the Transfer Assets to Fidelity (PDF) form to complete your transfer request.

  • Do I need a printer?

    It depends on the specifics of your transfer. As part of the online transfer process, we'll determine if you are eligible to submit your transaction electronically to your current firm. If your current firm requires your signature, you'll be asked to print, sign, and date the Transfer Assets to Fidelity (PDF) form. If your firm can accept a copy, you'll be asked to upload the TOA form along with a copy of a statement. However, if an original signature is required, you'll be asked to mail the signed TOA form and a copy of a statement to us. Please note that your TOA form is prefilled with your information.

About the process

  • How do I transfer a joint account into an individual account?

    As part of the online transfer process, you'll be asked to print the form and have all of the joint owners sign it.

  • What if my account registration at the other firm is different from my account registration at Fidelity?

    Depending on the registration difference, additional signatures might be needed. In some cases, your current firm may require all owners on both the new and/or current account to sign the form.

  • What is a Medallion Signature Guarantee and how do I get one?

    If your current firm requires their own paperwork in addition to ours, they may also request a Medallion Signature Guarantee. A Medallion Signature Guarantee for the transfer of securities guarantees the signature is genuine and the financial institution accepts liability for any forgery. You can get a Medallion Signature Guarantee from most banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions. A notary seal/stamp is not a Medallion Signature Guarantee.

  • How do I know if all of my current holdings can transfer in-kind to Fidelity?

    This depends on what kind of investments you specifically hold. Some mutual funds may need to be sold and transferred over as cash. Most stocks will transfer over in-kind, but if you own stocks trading at less than $1.00 a share, these securities may need to be sold as well and transferred over as cash.

  • What is a core position?

    The core position is used for processing cash transactions and holding uninvested cash in your account. When you sell securities, the proceeds are deposited into your core position. When you buy securities, cash from the core position is used to pay for the trade.

After I submit