How to Direct Deposit Payments From a Third Party
Shorten your to-do list by having your paycheck, Social Security payments, pension benefits, tax refund, or other payments from a third party deposited directly into your Fidelity account.
Why should I use direct deposit?
When you request to have your pay, benefits, or tax refunds directly deposited into your Fidelity account, you'll make fewer trips to the bank, and you'll have access to your money right away.
What do I need to know?
To have your employer or another third party direct deposit your pay, you'll follow their specific steps, and provide them with Fidelity's routing and account numbers.
Note: If you prefer, you can use the Direct Deposit/Debit for a Fidelity Account (PDF) form to provide the correct routing and account numbers.
- If you want your federal tax refund direct deposited, see Direct Deposit Your Tax Refund for details.
- If you want a third party to make contributions to your 529 account, please use the Direct Deposit/Debit for a Fidelity Account (PDF).
Other ways to deposit and withdraw money:
- If you want to move money into your Fidelity account, please see Deposit Money Into Your Fidelity Accounts
- If you want to move money out of your Fidelity account, please see Withdraw Money From Your Fidelity Accounts
- If you want to set up direct deposit on your employer-sponsored plan (e.g., 401[k]) that's serviced by Fidelity, please log in to NetBenefitsLog In Required and search Electronic Payments for instructions
What to expect
When your employer, the government agency, or another third party sets up direct deposit, they run a test to ensure the account numbers are correct.
It usually takes a couple of payment cycles for direct deposit to start, so continue to look out for your mailed payments or bank account deposits until you get a notice from the third party that your direct deposit is active.
Virtual Assistant is Fidelity's automated natural language search engine to help you find information on the Fidelity.com site. As with any search engine, we ask that you not input personal or account information. Information that you input is not stored or reviewed for any purpose other than to provide search results and to help provide analytics to improve the search results. For account servicing requests, you may send our customer service team a secure, encrypted message once you have logged in to our website. Responses provided by the Virtual Assistant are to help you navigate Fidelity.com and, as with any Internet search engine, you should review the results carefully. Fidelity does not guarantee accuracy of results or suitability of information provided.