FAQs: How to Set Up Automatic Investments
What are the minimum and maximum dollar amounts per transaction?
- Brokerage core accounts, $10
- 529 college savings plans, $15 per month or $45 quarterly
- Fidelity mutual fund can vary by fund, but $10 is typical
- Non-Fidelity mutual funds amounts can vary by fund; please check the prospectus
IRAs: If investing in a fund you don't own, $200 monthly or $600 quarterly
Note: You can only invest in mutual funds you don't currently own by submitting the paper form; you're unable to set up this type of investment using the online steps. Please see the Automatic Investments page to download the appropriate form.
Note: You cannot use automatic investments to invest in a non-Fidelity mutual fund that has a front-end sales charge.
The maximum investment is $99,999.99.
Note: Contributions to retirement accounts are subject to annual IRS contribution limits.
Can I make a specific, customized schedule?
Yes, you can choose to create a custom schedule. However, at least two payments must be set up and a stop date must be given between the first and second months. You can call us at 800-343-3548 if you’d like to set up a more customized schedule.
When does the automatic investment get initiated?
- From your bank to a brokerage core account: The money will leave your bank account approximately two days prior to the trade date.
- From your core account to purchase a mutual fund within the same Fidelity account: The transaction begins two days prior to the trade date.
- Between two separate Fidelity accounts: The withdrawal from the source brokerage account is generally done four days before the trade date.
What types of bank accounts are eligible for automatic investments?
- Checking accounts
- NOW (negotiable order withdrawal) accounts
- MMDAs (money market accounts)
- Non-passbook savings accounts
Are there any fees associated with automatic investments?
There are no transaction fees for automatic investments into Fidelity mutual funds or no-transaction-fee (NTF) FundsNetwork® funds. For all other mutual funds, there is a $5 fee for each automatic investment in addition to any other fees that may apply. Your bank or other financial institution may also charge transaction fees.
What if I have insufficient funds in the account that's being debited for my automatic investment?
In most cases, the investment portion of the transaction still occurs.
Transactions from your bank or financial institution to a brokerage core position:
- If you have insufficient funds, your bank may subsequently demand return of cash to satisfy the overdraft.
- Your bank/financial institution may charge transaction and/or overdraft fees.
- You may need to contact your bank/financial institution to restart automatic transactions.
Transactions from your bank or financial institution to purchase a mutual fund:
- If we do not receive the full amount within three days, we will record a debit balance on your account and cancel future automatic investments.
- Your bank or financial institution may charge transaction and/or overdraft fees.
- You may need to contact your bank/financial institution and Fidelity to restart automatic transactions.
Transactions within the same account (from a core position to a mutual fund or from one mutual fund to another mutual fund):
- All available assets are applied toward the transaction.
- If no further assets appear in the source account within three days, we will record a debit balance on your account for the insufficient amount.
Transactions between two Fidelity accounts (from one core position or mutual fund in one brokerage account to a core position in another brokerage account, or from one mutual fund-only account to another mutual fund-only account).
- For brokerage core positions and mutual funds:
- If funds are not available at the end of the settlement period (zero days for core positions, three days for mutual fund positions), a debit balance will occur.
- An attempt is made to sell for three days (six days for plans that are offered as an immediate payment feature).
- Each day, we remove any available assets to apply toward the transaction.
- PAS accounts: If no further assets appear in the source account within 15 days, the transaction is canceled without notice to you. Future transactions are not affected.