Important legal information about the e-mail you will be sending. By using this service, you agree to input your real e-mail address and only send it to people you know. It is a violation of law in some jurisdictions to falsely identify yourself in an e-mail. All information you provide will be used by Fidelity solely for the purpose of sending the e-mail on your behalf. The subject line of the e-mail you send will be "Fidelity.com: "
Fidelity® Reports 8 Percent Jump in Average 401(K) Balance Fueled by Stock Market Strength, Increased SavingsBOSTON, May 1, 2012 – Fidelity Investments® today reported its average 401(k) balance rose to $74,600 at the end of the first quarter, up 8 percent from the end of the fourth quarter 2011. The first quarter balance also represents a 62 percent increase since the end of the first quarter 2009, often considered the low of the 2008-2009 market downturn, when the average balance was $46,200.
Fidelity’s 401(k) savings analysis1 is based on the industry’s largest participant base of 11.8 million accounts2.
Strong stock market performance in the first quarter accounted for approximately 80 percent of the account balance growth with the other 20 percent attributed to both participant and employer contributions3.
“Participants have become much more engaged in their financial futures, as demonstrated by increased savings levels quarter over quarter” said James M. MacDonald, president, Workplace Investing, Fidelity Investments. “We also see clear evidence that employers can have a meaningful impact on employee retirement readiness by fostering a culture of savings at the workplace. To support these efforts, Fidelity continues to bolster its educational guidance programs, including onsite meetings at the workplace, enhanced mobile platforms, smartphone apps and innovative e-education programs.”
Additional Highlights from the First Quarter Include:
• Annual increase programs help drive savings: The number of participants taking advantage of annual increase programs (AIP) increased nearly nine fold over the past five years. AIP programs are an employer plan design option that automatically increases contribution rates4 by participating employees, typically by 1 percent per year. Of Fidelity 401(k) plans, 76 percent offer this program. During the first quarter, nearly 10 percent of Fidelity 401(k) participants increased their contribution rate versus less than 4 percent who decreased it. But of those participants in plans offering automatic AIP, 16 percent increased their contribution rate.
• Investors are seeking guidance at higher rates than ever before: In 2011, 20 percent more participants attended workplace workshops and 45 percent more used online webinars compared to 2010. Fidelity’s workshops and webinars are continually updated to help meet participant and plan sponsor needs as well as the market climate. Approximately two thirds of 401(k) participants accessed their account through NetBenefits®, Fidelity’s comprehensive participant portal, either online or through the company’s smartphone app. In response to participant demand for further help, Fidelity restructured its phone support model and provided additional training to nearly 200 dedicated workplace guidance consultants.
Infographic on 401(k)s available to download
To download an illustrative graphic on 401(k) savings from the first quarter and the impact of market returns, click: http://go.fidelity.com/Q12012401K
About Fidelity Investments
Fidelity Investments is one of the world’s largest providers of financial services, with assets under administration of $3.7 trillion, including managed assets of $1.6 trillion, as of March 31, 2012. Founded in 1946, the firm is a leading provider of investment management, retirement planning, portfolio guidance, brokerage, benefits outsourcing and many other financial products and services to more than 20 million individuals and institutions, as well as through 5,000 financial intermediary firms. For more information about Fidelity Investments, visit www.fidelity.com.
1 Workplace defined contribution data based on more than 20,000 plans and nearly 11.8 million recordkept participants as of March 31, 2012, and do not include tax-exempt accounts and non-qualified plans, but does include plan data from the Fidelity Advisor 401(k) Program.